Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Reaper Bones 77055 Anval Thricedamned, Evil Warrior

This is 77055 of Reaper's Bones line - Anval Thricedamned, Evil Warrior. Which may very well be the most edgy name I've yet encountered for a Reaper Miniatures product. Bravo! As with the majority of the Bones miniatures in my collection, this one came to me by way of the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do whenever I finish all the Reaper Bones miniatures I currently own. Their low price and commonality means that I can just pick one out, get it done, and move on to the next thing without feeling much pressure. It's a convenient break between other projects. Of course, running out of Bones figures isn't something that I need to worry about in the near future.

Anval wouldn't look out of place in a gladiatorial arena.

Cleaning
Something that I've been neglecting to mention in recent posts is this step. A good scrubbing with a toothbrush and some warm soap and water removes anything that the figure might have picked up from manufacturing, storage, or handling. This is especially important for plastic or resin, but I do it for metal miniatures too.

Basing
I keep a stack of spray primed steel fender washers around for plastic figures. Gluing the integral base on to a washer keeps it from falling over if the table gets bumped.

Priming
I've gotten into the habit of using a mix of FolkArt Glass & Tile Medium and craft paint - brown in this case - on Bones material. The mix offers a surface suitable for painting and makes the details easier to see.

Metallic Areas
The armor and metal parts of the axe got a layer of Citadel Colour Codex Grey. Metallic paints don't always coat well, so an underlayer is generally a good idea. Next I completely covered the Codex Grey with Citadel Colour Boltgun Metal. Citadel Colour Mithril Silver was used as a highlight.

Metallic Area Wash
I brushed on a coat of Army Painter Warpaints Quickshade Dark Tone to settle into the recessed details and give the armor and axe a well-used appearance.

Skin
My most recent paint purchase was a more diverse range of colors for skin tones. In this case, I decided to give Reaper 09260 Bronzed Skin a try. It's a nice golden tan rather than the dark tan provided by Reaper 09044 Tanned Skin.

Leather and Wood Areas
I used Reaper 09284 Lonestar Leather for the belt, various straps, back of the boots, and axe handle.

Skin, Leather, and Wood Wash
Deciding between Army Painter Warpaints Quickshade Strong and Soft Tones took awhile. The Strong Tone was a little too dark and the Soft Tone was a little too light for the effect I wanted. I ended up mixing the two. It's something I'll have to keep in mind for future projects.

Basing
I glued a little sand along the edges of the integral base to blend it better with the steel washer. The whole thing - integral base, washer, and sand - got painted with a layer of black followed by a layer of grey.

Anval has a question to axe... I'll get my coat.

I like how this one turned out. Although I'm noticing that I seem to have been on a barbarian kick when painting Bones lately. Maybe I'll dig into some other parts of my Bones collection next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment