Saturday, April 3, 2021

Hasslefree Miniatures HFSF125 Nurse Layla

This is the third and final figure in the HFSFMP04 "Retro Sci-Fi Crew" set. The other two figures in the set were featured in previous posts - HFSF126 Ensign Shay and HFSF124 CommO Misha. The set appears to be an homage to a certain sci-fi series featuring 1960s fashion in its women's uniforms.


I choose to ignore the title of "Nurse" used in the name of this figure when deciding on a paint scheme. As mentioned in the post covering CommO Misha, I wanted each figure in the "Retro Sci-Fi Crew" set to be wearing a uniform of a different color. Gold seemed like a good choice.

Given the difficulties I had with CommO Misha, I decided on a streamlined approach to painting this figure. The number of paint and wash coats was kept to a minimum. In particular, I decided to skip any attempt to simulate the appearance of black sheer stockings on the legs of this figure.


Basing
This set was an experiment in some new techniques. Texturing the bases before priming and painting seemed to be a good way to simplify my process. However, the lack of detail was not a good trade off for the small amount of time saved. I'll be going back to texturing and painting the base as a final step during future projects.

Primer
White auto body spray primer.

Skin
Formula P3 Menoth White Base is a good under coat for lighter colors. I applied a coat of Reaper 09044 Tanned Skin for the actual skin color. The final coat was Secret Weapon W005 Flesh Wash, slightly diluted with water.

Uniform
As with the skin, I used Formula P3 Menoth White Base as an under coat. Reaper 09074 Palomino Gold is a good approximation of the gold color I was attempting to replicate. A coat of slightly diluted Secret Weapon W005 Flesh Wash was the finishing touch.

Hair and Accessories
The hair, boots, and uniform collar were all painted Reaper 09088 Stormy Grey followed by a coat of Secret Weapon W001 Soft Body Black. I felt that simply painting these features black would make the details - such as the hair texture and the zipper tabs on the back of the boots - too difficult to see.


The three figures of the "Retro Sci-Fi Crew" are the first Hasslefree Miniatures products that I've painted. I've owned a few for awhile, but I never felt that my painting skills were up to the level of detail on many of their sculpts. After almost a year of painting consistently, I decided to challenge myself with this set. The high quality of these figures made them a pleasure to work with and I look forward to putting paint on the other Hasslefree Miniatures products in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment