Sunday, February 14, 2021

Hasslefree Miniatures HFSF126 Ensign Shay

This is "Ensign Shay" - a member of a space exploration agency that sends women to explore unfamiliar planets in 1960s fashion for some reason. "Ensign Shay" is available individually or as part of the HFSFMP04 "Retro Sci-Fi Crew" set. The figures in the set appear to be a homage to a certain sci-fi franchise.

Retro fashion on a weird, unfamiliar planet.

"Ensign Shay" is the first Hasslefree Miniatures product I've put paint on. I wasn't sure about my ability to do justice to the level of detail on many of their sculpts. The additional practice I've been getting over the past several months gave me enough confidence to give it a shot. My new Winsor & Newton brush also helped.

Basing

The base is a commonly available round slotted base. I left a gap between the figure's feet and the surface of the base to leave room for the sand I use for texturing. That sand texturing was applied over PVA glue brushed on the base. I was experimenting with texturing the base before spraying on the primer as a way of simplifying the overall process. I'm not sure about the results.

Primer Layer

White auto body primer - I don't recall the brand.

Uniform

This took a few layers to get right. I started with a coat of Reaper 09003 Blood Red. Next was some slightly watered down Army Painter Warpaints Dark Tone Quickshade to bring out the recessed details. I used Reaper 09279 Fresh Blood to highlight the raised and upper areas.

Flesh and Hair

The first step was a coat of Formula P3 Menoth White Base. It works well as a underlayer for light colors. I used Reaper 09074 Palomino Gold for the hair and Reaper 09047 Fair Skin for the face, hands, and legs. The hair, face, and hands were finished with Army Painter Warpaints Soft Tone Quickshade. To simulate the appearance of dark stockings, I used Secret Weapon W001 Soft Body Black over the flesh tone.

Accessories

The boots, collar, hair band, and sidearm all got a coat of Reaper 09088 Stormy Grey. Next I used Army Painter Warpaints Dark Tone Quickshade to bring out the details and darken the color. I was concerned that just using black would obscure details like the zipper tabs on the back of the boots.

Finishing Touches

I used Citadel Colour Mithril Silver to pick out the earpiece.

Craft paints in a couple of earth tones were used on the sand texturing. That texturing came out a little muddy looking after painting. The layer of primer over it might be a factor.

The base edges were finished in black.

Looking for previously unencountered life and interstellar cultures.

I enjoyed painting this figure. It was challenging and I made a few mistakes, but I don't think I would have been able to do this good a job a year ago. The new brush helped - I've been frustrated with not being able to put the paint where I wanted it to go with some recent projects. The fine tip helps with controlling the application of paint on the figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment