Saturday, February 20, 2021

Kickstarter and a New Version of a Thing I Already Own

I'm not as active on Kickstarter as I was years ago. That's a conscious decision. Backer rewards from various long-ago Kickstarters are still cluttering up the place. The Reaper Bones Kickstarters are the worst offenders. My unborn grandchildren might end up inheriting unpainted Bones miniatures at this rate. I have strong disincentives to not back any more Kickstarters unless what is on offer fulfills an existing need. However, I do still check out upcoming Kickstarters from time to time.

This box is taunting me.

That's how I found out about the latest Kickstarter from Bombshell Miniatures - the ISW-71B Scout Ship. Looks great. Scaled to 28-35mm. Might be a little too retro looking to fit seamlessly into every sci-fi setting with space travel, but it's still fairly versatile. Even the interior is modeled.

I would love to support Bombshell Miniatures by backing this Kickstarter. They have never failed to give me quality service in all of my previous dealings with them.

There's just two problems.

I already own the previous version of this product - the ISW-69F Scout Ship. I received it as a reward after backing that Kickstarter in 2013. Looks great. 1/48 scale. A little too retro looking to be a seamless fit for Star Trek or Star Wars, but that wouldn't stop me from putting it on the table. No interior modeling, but it was less than half the price of the new version.

The other problem is that the one I have isn't done.

The resin pieces for the main hull are cleaned up. There's a project folder on my PC with notes on the game plan for assembly and a couple of paint schemes (I need to either figure out how to mix "Electric Mucus" green or just resign myself to painting it silver or gray). I've been considering the pros and cons of mounting it on a base (and finding a base big enough) or letting it stand free on its landing struts (and risk messing up the struts down the line). My goal is to have assembly done when the weather settles down enough to make spray priming and painting practical - April or May.

I just need to finish the Scout Ship I already own. Getting another one doesn't fill a need. I don't even know what I'd do with another one.

Those add-ons for the new Kickstarter look nice, though. And the interior for the new version is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment