Monday, December 20, 2021

The Last Call - Campaign Start and Turn #1 Pre-Battle

In the previous post of this series, I described generating a crew and their stuff. Here I kick off the campaign and take all the steps just short of my crew's first battle. I get the feeling that a battle report will take up a post by itself.

I've settled on the following names and miniatures the crew of The Last Call. The Background, Motivation, and Class previously generated for each crew member are also listed.

Captain Wilhelmina "Mina" Derring
Bombshell Miniatures 36003 Wanda Whitestar
Industrial World, Adventure, Scoundrel

William "Bill" Baxter
Reaper Chronoscope 50028 Kirby McDowell, Space Privateer
Drifter, Glory, Scavenger

Roxanna "Rocky" Gaussi
Bombshell Miniatures Bug Spray
Wasteland Nomads, Discovery, Mercenary

Yelena Waverly
Bombshell Miniatures 36020 Science Officer Helen Salinger
Dystopian City, Technology, Trader

Freyja Niobe
Reaper Chronoscope 50132 Jessica Blaze, Smuggler
Mining Colony, Wealth, Negotiator

Rosalina "Lin" Johansen
Reaper Chronoscope 50016 Rosie, Chronotechnician
High-Tech Colony, Survival, Technician

The rulebook, miniatures, and dice. Now all I need is the time to set up a board and play.

Last Call Campaign Start

With a crew ready to go, I just had to decide on which options to take going in. These decisions would influence how things would be handled from here on.

Story Track - No. This would have introduced mechanics for an overall story arc to the campaign. I decided to keep things simple for my introductory campaign. There would still be narrative elements, but no overarching plot in the background.

Victory Condition - Play 50 campaign turns. There are a variety of Victory Conditions available in the rules. This seemed the most straightforward.

Difficulty Mode - Normal. This indicates no changes to the rules. There are more challenging modes in addition to an Easy mode.

Story Points - 8 total. Since this is my first campaign, the rules state that I roll two D6 and keep the better result to determine the number of story points I have at the start. A good thing, since my first die roll was a "1" and a "6" came up on the second die. This combined with the 2 story points from crew generation for a total of 8.

I noted the options available in "The Stars of the Story" section. These are rules that can be used to keep the campaign going in the event of a disastrous set of events. Each allows the game to be fudged a little to prevent an unrecoverable result. However, each option can only be used once during a campaign.


Turn 1 Start

Travel Steps

It is assumed that a campaign begins with the crew already on a planet. Thus, most of Travel and the first two steps of New World Arrival are skipped. These rules will come up should I choose to go elsewhere.

Licensing Requirements - I rolled a "2" on a D6. This world doesn't require a Freelancer License for my crew to operate.

World Traits - "01" on percentile dice. "Haze" - visibility is reduced to 1D6+8" during battle. Why a planet has a particular trait is left to the imagination of the player. I decided to make it the home of Mina - an industrial world. The haze is the result of smog from various pollutants in the atmosphere. I named the world the Pandora Innovation Zone.

A fist full of credits. A small fist.

World Steps

Upkeep - 1 credit. This represents the crew getting paid.

Ship Debt - With a fair amount of starting funds, I chose to knock the ship debt down by half by spending 11 credits. This put the new ship debt total at 11 credits and left 12 credits remaining in the war chest.

Normally, things like repairs to the ship and medical attention for the crew would come up at this stage. Fortunately, the ship and crew are in good shape - so far!

Crew Tasks - I already had a Patron for work and didn't a have Rival to worry about. The temptation to just have everyone Train to get some XP coming in was strong, but I wanted to try my luck rolling dice and checking tables.
  • Mina, Rocky, and Freyja hit the gun range and gym. Each received 1 XP.
  • Yelena and Lin wanted to see if they could Trade for a deal or two at the local markets. I rolled percentile dice for the results of their efforts. "94" indicated that Yelena obtained 2 Stim-Packs and 2 Med-Patches. "59" revealed that Lin turned up 3 grenades - 2 Frakk and 1 Dazzle.
  • Bill went out to Explore the town. Rolled "03" - he ran across a deal he couldn't pass up, represented by a roll on the Trade Table. That roll was "89" - a roll on the Loot Table, but the item received would need Repair. A series of rolls resulted in Bill striding back to The Last Call with a "gently used" Plasma Rifle.

Job Offers - It was time to determine the identity of the Patron and what kind of work they had in mind. A series of rolls revealed that the Patron was the Local Government, was offering 2 credits in Danger Pay, and was willing to wait for awhile - the job could be done in the current turn or in the following two campaign turns. Checking for Benefits, Hazards, and Conditions turned out some bad news - this was a Dangerous Job. The enemy force would be increased by +1.

Assign Equipment - I distributed what was available to the crew. I didn't have as much firepower or protective equipment as I would've liked, but the extra stuff that turned up during Crew Tasks would come in handy. Too bad the Plasma Rifle would need some time and attention before it could be used.
  • Mina - Machine Pistol, Glare Sword, Frag Vest, Boosted Leg
  • Bill - Hand Laser, Frakk Grenade
  • Rocky - Auto Rifle
  • Lin - Hand Laser, Brutal Melee Weapon (represented by the wrench on the miniature)
  • Freyja - Machine Pistol
  • Yelena - Beam Pistol, Frakk Grenade

Resolve Any Rumors - I had a single Rumor from crew generation, but my roll of "2" was a little too high for anything to come of it. The Rumor would remain and be added to any others that might come up.


Choose Your Battle

With no Rivals (yet) to get the jump on my crew, I had a free hand in deciding what to do. I could always do an Opportunity mission, representing whatever odd job that came my way. In the end, I decided to go ahead and carry out the job for the Local Government. Sure, there was still plenty of time to get it done, but I wanted to get it out of the way.


Readying For Battle

Technically, this is part of the Battle stage, but I got excited. Besides, this way I'll know ahead of time what I need to set up the table.

Deployment Conditions - "89" rolled on percentile dice. "Caught Off Guard" - the crew would all be acting in the Slow Actions phase of Round 1! Argh!

Notable Sights - "81" on percentile dice. "Peculiar Item" - the item is placed 2D6+2" in a random direction from table center. Acquiring it involves moving a crew miniature into contact and foregoing any other actions that round. Getting it would be worth +2 XP.

Patron Mission Objectives - "3" on a D10. The Last Call crew had been hired to Eliminate a target.

Determine the Enemy - A series of die rolls revealed that the crew would be fighting 8 Large Bugs. I'm not sure why the Local Government wanted one in particular knocked off, but this crew wasn't getting paid to ask questions. I'll come up with a narrative reason why by the time I get the chance to sit down and play it out. Any suggestions would be welcome!


Next time in this series - The Last Call crew guns down Large Bugs in the smog!

6 comments:

  1. As for the particular bug, maybe it's the queen or some special kind of bug? Maybe paint it up a little differently than the others - scientists want to study what makes "the green and yellow one" (or whatever) different from the others - if at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas! I think I'll use something like "this specific bug has been tagged for dissection/genetic analysis/whatever" for some reason or another.

      Delete
  2. You rolled some good gear to start off with. I'm about to start, with no armour and more basic tech weapons. Good luck with the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping things hold up for the actual battle, but my luck with dice usually runs out when it really counts!

      Delete
  3. I just bought 5PFH and subsequently found your blog; I am really enjoying these entries. I look forward to your first battle report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you're enjoying my posts. I'm hoping to get some time at the table over the holiday break!

      Delete