Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Hasslefree Miniatures HFSF124 CommO Misha

This is member of a future space exploration organization that decided to revive 1960s fashion for reasons unclear. "CommO Misha" is available individually or as part of the HFSFMP04 "Retro Sci-Fi Crew" set. Another figure in that set - Ensign Shay - was featured in a previous post. The figures in that set seem to be an homage to the women of a certain space opera franchise.

"CommO" means "Communications Officer" in the context of an organization that uses military designations. I ignored that since I wanted to use a different color for each figure in the set. Blue seemed to be a good choice since "Misha" is carrying a portable scanner.


Basing
I decided to experiment with texturing the base before priming and painting for the "Retro Sci-Fi Crew" set. The goal was to streamline the whole process of getting miniatures on the table. I'm not sure if this is an experiment I'll be repeating. This method is described in Ensign Shay's post.

Primer
White auto body spray primer.

Skin
I've been using Formula P3 Menoth White Base as an under coat for lighter colors like some flesh tones. In this case, I decided to try using it as the color for the face and hands. Next came a coat of Secret Weapon W010 Dark Sepia to provide a little red-brown shading.

Uniform
I started with a coat of Reaper 09285 Denim Blue. Next, I used Reaper 09017 True Blue to highlight the raised areas. After that came a couple of washes. I used Secret Weapon W001 Soft Body Black diluted with water to bring out the recessed details. The final step was a coat of Secret Weapon W015 Blue to provide additional shading and better blend the color from the two different blue paints. In retrospect, I could have skipped the Denim Blue, used the True Blue as a base color, and achieved similar results after applying the washes.

Accessories
The boots, portable scanner, and strap were painted with Reaper 09088 Stormy Grey. I applied a layer of Secret Weapon W001 Soft Body Black to darken these areas and bring out the details.

Hair
I used a mix of Reaper 09070 Mahogany Brown and Reaper 09278 Gory Red to achieve a red-brown color. The wash used is Secret Weapon W010 Dark Sepia.

Finishing Touches
I used a touch of Citadel Colour Mithril Silver to pick out the earrings.


A note about the legs of this figure. I was able to simulate the look of black sheer stockings on Ensign Shay by using a black wash. Unfortunately, my attempts to reproduce this on CommO Misha failed repeatedly. The wash just wouldn't coat evenly, resulting in a patchy appearance. After multiple attempts, I decided to just paint over the problem. The legs were painted as if they were bare or covered in stockings matching CommO Misha's complexion.

I got a little ambitious with the figure, trying a more complex approach by layering different color paints. The results don't look bad, but didn't come out as neat as I hoped. Using more straightforward methods might have achieved the same results with less time and frustration. I'll just label this as a "learning experience" and apply my new knowledge as I move forward.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the shot of mini Misha's back. I thought she had no arms at first. Also thanks for leading me to Hassle Free Minis. Fabulous SF minis from Wales! Following on RSS feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I've got more figures from Hasslefree Miniatures in the pipeline.

      Delete