Sunday, March 28, 2021

Reaper Bones 77195 Mr. Bones

Mr. Bones is another backer reward from the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter. It was the mascot for that Kickstarter - not to be confused with Sophie, who is the mascot for Reaper Miniatures. Mr. Bones was included with all reward levels that received a Bones or Case shipment.

I painted Mr. Bones as a weekend project to do while waiting for the paint to dry on my "main" projects. As a personal challenge, I restricted my paint and wash choices to the stuff I already had out for the projects I was working on at the time. Reaper Bones are becoming my first choice for quick paint projects - enough detail to be interesting, but plentiful enough in my collection for me not to worry about doing a perfect paint job on every one of them.

I'm not saying that the pile of Bones miniatures that I still have to paint are this guy's fault...

Priming
The usual mix of FolkArt Glass & Tile Medium and craft paint - in this case black - that I use when starting on a Bones miniature. The mix provides a good surface to paint on and brings out details that would otherwise be lost in all that white plastic. It also makes mold lines easier to see early in the process.

Base Color
I applied a coat of Reaper 09088 Stormy Grey to the entire figure.

Skeleton
The skull, hands, and foot all got two coats of paint - Formula P3 Menoth White Base and Formula P3 Morrow White. This combination results in a bright white that doesn't look flaky or chalky.

Shovel
The handle was painted with Formula P3 Menoth White Base. The light brown simulates the appearance of old, worn wood. Citadel Colour Codex Grey was used for the blade.

...I just choose to put the blame on Mr. Bones.

Washes
I used Secret Weapon W001 Soft Body Black all over the figure. It did a good job of filling in the recesses, but results in a shiny surface where it is applied. The skeleton and shovel handle all received a coat of Secret Weapon W005 Flesh Wash. I wanted to give the skull and other bones a worn look. The wash also brought out the details on the shovel handle.

Base
I keep a stack of one inch steel washers that I previously spray primed around specifically for basing Bones figures. I glue them to the bottom of the integral bases to counter a common problem with the lightweight Bones miniatures - they tend to fall over during play. I apply a mix of PVA glue, brown craft paint, and water and use sand to texture the base. Once it is dry, I over brush a little linen craft paint over the sand. The result resembles dry earth.


Painting Mr. Bones was a fun and quick project. I decided again picking out the details with contrasting colors. A monochrome look seemed a better choice for an undead mascot. I might end up using Mr. Bones as an undead halfling or dwarf someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment