Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Post Where I Go On About Photography Gear

I'm in the process of trying out my new extension tubes and I'll be posting the results with commentary soon. In the meantime, it occurred to me that I never covered the gear I use for the photos on this blog. My process has evolved over time, so I'll start with the constants. Then I'll go over the camera I ended up phasing out. Finally, my current gear.

The Constants

The Table
When I use the term "tabletop gaming" on this blog, this is usually the table I'm referring to. This well-worn surface has seen plenty of wargames, board games, and role playing games. It provides a steady surface and I can work undisturbed as long as I avoid meal times. The main reason I shoot here is the natural light from the nearby windows. That light is supplemented with overhead lighting. I tend to get the best results when I shoot here during the day.

Skubb Laundry bag with stand from Ikea (white)
I admit that this is a quirky inclusion, but it works as an inexpensive light box, diffuser, and backdrop. Lay it on its side, place a couple of light sources around it, and position the subject inside. The white polyester material diffuses the light, providing even lighting around the subject. Place a strong light source inside the Skubb and it softens the light directed at the subject. I often just stand it up or lay it on its side behind the subject as a backdrop - it's the white background often seen in the photos on this blog. Finally, it folds up for easy storage when I'm not using it.

A quick vignette showing our well-loved gaming surface and the Skubb acting as a backdrop.

In Honorable Retirement

Canon PowerShot A3100IS
My first digital camera that didn't come with a phone attached. I got it around the time I started this blog, so it's elderly in technology terms. Most of the photos on this blog prior to last year were shot with this camera or using whatever phone I happened to own at the time. Both are valid options for anyone starting out, especially given the increasing quality of cameras that manufacturers are incorporating into smart phone designs these days. The only reason I moved past this camera was my desire to get into the settings and lens that a DSLR or mirrorless camera could offer. This camera is currently in storage.


The Current Stuff

Canon EOS Rebel T7i
This is not the best or latest camera, even when I purchased it last year. However, it has all the features I need at a price I could afford. Photography is a side hobby for me at this time. Breaking the bank on something moving up from "vague interest" to "hobby I do on the side of my other hobbies" just doesn't make any sense.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM
The kit lens that came with the Rebel is surprisingly good. It is versatile, produces sharp images, and comes with auto focus and image stabilization. I was even able to get pretty close to miniatures and other subjects for macro photography, but I did notice some distortion. It still sees use for the photos I take for this blog when I can't get good results otherwise. A good general purpose lens that I'll be hanging on to for awhile.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Plenty of sources recommended this as the first prime lens when expanding beyond the kit lens. I can see why. I switched to this for most of the photos I take for this blog soon after getting it. I have to shoot from further away than with the kit lens, but using this lens has taught me about the effects of different aperture settings in macro photography. A nice lens at a reasonable price.

Lume Cube Panel Mini
Even with all the natural and artificial light available in my favorite spot, I still need a little extra from time to time. I bought this so I could stop dragging my desk lamp over every time the light wasn't quite right at the kitchen table. This is the first light source that I bought specifically for photography. It came in handy a couple of months ago during the four day blackout in this part of Texas. I also sometimes use it for lighting tasks around the house. Kinda pricey for what it is, but the ability to control the brightness and color temperature have been worth it.

Dinkum Systems ActionPod Pro
This is a camera mount at the end of a flexible arm held in place by a spring clamp. I mount the Rebel on the ActionPod, clamp it on the edge of the table, and adjust the arm until its in the position I need it to be in. Much quicker than dealing with tripod. It's strong enough to hold the Rebel without sagging and doesn't take up much space. More reasonably priced than many of the alternatives.

2 comments:

  1. Great tips, thanks for sharing! I am currently just using my camera phone, which is decent but limited. I do have a cheap lightbox I bought, but I like the idea of a backdrop with say, an outdoor/mountain vista, etc, like I have seen some people use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! A camera phone is a perfectly valid option. I only went with a DSLR when I decided to start playing around with lenses and settings. A better backdrop is something I've been shopping for - I'll post if I finally find something I like.

      Delete