Monday, January 17, 2022

Trash Bash Sci-Fi Quonset Workshop

This terrain piece is built around a part from some kind of office machine. The core part immediately brought a Quonset hut to mind when I first laid eyes on it. I previously painted up my other one during my still-incomplete Electrical Box Sci-Fi Shelter.


Preparation
The first step was to cut off the plastic protrusions on the bottom of the core part that kept it from sitting flat on the table. Next came the application of elbow grease in the form of sanding and cleaning. I don't know what kind of plastic the part is made of and preparing the surface seemed to be a reasonable measure.

Antenna Assembly
The antenna are used printer parts - basically plastic rods. The core part had four holes drilled out for screws that were just a little to small to fit the rods. I used a hobby knife to widen the holes and glued the rods in place.

Technical Looking Bits Assembly
The core part had various protrusions originally used as attachment points. I sorted through my bits collection for parts to disguise them. A couple of keyboard buttons and a flat bead did the trick. They represent equipment attached to the outside of the structure.


First Spray Coat
Krylon Fusion All-In-One Matte Black sprayed for complete coverage on all surfaces.

Second Spray Coat
Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Metallic Aluminum spray to coat the antenna and technical bits.

Third Spray Coat
I masked off the areas I wanted to stay metallic and sprayed Krylon ColorMaxx Paint + Primer Flat White to achieve a zenithal effect on the upper areas.


Fourth Spray Coat
Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Matte Poppy Red on all exposed surfaces. I kept the masking on the metallic areas and did not spray the underside of the piece. The zenithal effect showed through the red with the upper areas being noticeably brighter than the lower ones.

Wash Layers
Next I applied multiple coats of black wash. Although I wiped off the excess, I also allowed the wash to build up in some areas for a grimy effect.

Detailing
I used Silver and Black Sharpies to further weather the piece. The silver was applied to the edges to simulate wear marks and on some flat surfaces as scratches. The black worked to dirty up the piece a little more and to draw some graffiti on a couple of spots.


The piece represents a workshop built from prefabricated or repurposed components. Used with 15mm models, it could be a garage or modest hangar. It's a little small for vehicle maintenance at larger scales like 28mm, but still conveys the appearance of a utility building.

No comments:

Post a Comment