Monday, November 8, 2021

Cork Urban Terrain Tiles WIP, Part Two

I had a change of plans with this project. My original idea was to knock out one tile at a time with a post to match. However, I had a breakthrough last week and managed to finish the remaining tiles over the weekend.

The street is strangely quiet now, but I'm sure that will change as soon as I get more miniatures painted.

The major issue I had was figuring out how to cut the cork tiles cleanly. I hid the rough edge on the first tile with the pavement squares, but that wouldn't be an option for all the remaining tiles. More practice resulted in cleaner cuts, but it was still slow going. It was the discovery that I could sand down the edges for a smooth finish that greatly accelerated progress.

Counterclockwise from the bottom left: First street tile (with drain cover), flat tile, courtyard tile, and second street tile (without drain cover).

The Flat Tile
This is a flat tile to support large buildings and other terrain. While a solid cork sheet would be completely functional, I wanted something more interesting looking. I drew diagonal lines over the cork sheet until I found a pattern I liked and cut along those lines. Then it was a matter of gluing the cut pieces down, putting some books on top of it all, and waiting for the glue to dry.

The Courtyard Tile
This is an open area surrounded by a low border. Add planters and it can represent a park. Keep it clear except for a landed spacecraft and it becomes a landing pad. It is essentially a slightly more interesting looking flat tile.

The Second Street Tile
There are some key differences between this and the first tile. There is no drain cover to simplify assembly. The pavement is also streamlined. The result was faster construction, but the pavement on one side doesn't match the first tile. I'm fine with that, given how often I see mismatched pavement and roads while driving around.

Tiles with 28mm scale miniatures and some terrain.

Spray Painting
All of the tiles were spray painted using the same colors and techniques as the first tile.

Finishing Touches - Roads
I wasn't quite happy with the roads, so I brushed some FolkArt 479 Pure Black over them. This validated my choice of using spray paints for most of the painting. The cork, even though it was already coated with Krylon, absorbed far more paint than I expected. The result was a nicely coated black surface with no cork showing though.

Finishing Touches - Concrete Surfaces
The next step was a light dry brushing with FolkArt 480 Titanium White over all areas except for the roads. A few spots came out a little too light, so I stippled a little FolkArt 479 Pure Black over them. The result is an uneven gray color that suggests wear and staining.

All three stackable buildings. Ready to block movement and lines of sight.

Bonus - Stackable Trash Bash Sci-Fi Buildings!
These were finished at the same time as the tiles. I placed the stickers in different patterns to vary their appearances slightly. Otherwise, they are identical to the first. And they still stack for storage and transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment