Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Hexagon Construction Set Sci-Fi Industrial Towers

An inventory of my 28mm sci-fi miniatures and terrain suitable for Five Parsecs From Home revealed some gaps. I have plenty of sci-fi miniatures for a crew, but would have to proxy some of the aliens. Likewise, most of my 28mm terrain is fantasy, so I need more sci-fi terrain if I wanted to set up a table. I considered going with 15mm, but ran into the opposite problem - enough terrain, but a lack of miniatures. Besides, I could also use 28mm sci-fi for roleplaying.

Sarah keeps an eye out while Rosie performs percussive maintenance.

Fortunately, I have some solutions for my sci-fi terrain shortage on hand. There's the Power Plant Construction Set featured in a previous post. I also have boxes of materials to scratch build or trash bash something together. And I own two Hexagon Construction Sets - the remains of one with some choice bits still on the sprues and an unopened box I bought last year. Like the Power Plant Construction Set, these are made by Tehlog in Russia and distributed by Pegasus Hobbies in the USA.

Wanting to save the unopened box for later, I dug through what was left of the other one and cobbled these two pieces together. My goal was for the completed pieces to look like functional parts of some industrial system. There are features that look like hatches for accessing internal components to perform maintenance and repair. The sides have ladders to climb to the upper parts. The safety railings also provide plausible cover for any figures placed on top.

Sarah: "Did you hear that?" Rosie: "WHAT?! All I can hear is ringing! I've been hitting this thing with my wrench!"

The paint scheme is the same as the one I used for the red areas of the Power Plant test piece.

Underlayer
Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Flat Black. An even coat on all visible surfaces.

Base Color
Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Matte Poppy Red. This is a bright red on its own, but is significantly darker when used over a layer of black. This layer was sprayed down from above. This leaves some of the black underlayer showing for a shading effect.

Dark Wash
I applied a dark (gray-blue) wash mix on all surfaces and wiped off the excess with a sponge. This produced a further shading effect.

Brown Wash
The final touch was applying a brown wash mix using the same technique as the previous step. This gives the piece a more weathered appearance.

"Bug Spray" joining Sarah for some target practice.

These work as generic 28mm sci-fi terrain and should fit a variety of game settings. I might go back and add some weathering later, but they look good enough for now. Besides, I need to get more stuff like this finished so I can get a game of Five Parsecs From Home on the table.

These items are Mark I and Mark II McQuary-Mead Industrial Infrastructure Support Units. These models reliably serve many frontier colonies and installations, although they have been superseded by more advanced equipment in more settled areas. They are commonly used in atmospheric processing or temperature control systems. The Mark II can be distinguished from the Mark I by the additional equipment module. The improved range of features and performance of the Mark II come at the cost of higher operating expenses compared with the Mark I

These specific items are part of a larger shipment of recovered equipment sold off as surplus. The anti-corrosion coating are intact, although there is some surface discoloration. Each unit sold comes with an inspection report from our factory certified technicians. Our agent would be happy to discuss providing a service agreement during the sales process.

- Kessler's Upcycling Sales Catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment