Thursday, September 23, 2021

Khurasan Miniatures PLA-11 Dethroids Repaint

Repainting these figures was a quick project after a weeks-long spell of getting very little done hobby-wise. The one thing I did accomplish during that time was a long delayed reorganization of my home office/hobby space. I came across these figures during that process. Unfortunately, the metallic paint job I originally used didn't age well. The shine seemed dull and there were some marks marring the surfaces. I considered retouching the paint, but decided that a fresh start would be a better approach.


I commented on the appearance of these models in my previous post from back in 2014. Briefly, they seem to be inspired by two sources. One is a certain group of aliens who dress in pepperpot shaped murder machines and enunciate every syllable of their lines. The other are the autonomous reconnaissance drones deployed by a particular galactic autocracy for searching out insurgent bases.

Paint Removal
An overnight soak in a 50/50 mix of water and Simple Green has been by go-to for stripping paint from miniatures for awhile now. It also removed the sand and glue mix I used for basing. There were a couple of stubborn spots, but a stiff brush and a little elbow grease took care of them.


Primer
A couple thin coats of Krylon ColorMaxx Paint + Primer in Matte Deep Gray provided good coverage.

Paints
I started with Formula P3 Menoth White Base on the upper bodies. The dangling appendages received a coat of Citadel Colour Codex Grey. Everything got dry brushed with Formula P3 Morrow White to increase the contrast between the raised areas and the rest of the figures. The bases were painted with Citadel Colour Chaos Black. This is a departure from my usual approach of applying a sand/glue/paint mix for basing. It looks good, but I'm not sure how it will hold up - the edges are already starting to show wear.

Washes
I brushed on two layers of Army Painter Warpaints wash over each model. Dark Tone to bring out the recessed details. Strong Tone to blend the colors together and weather the models.


I like the dirty, worn appearance better than the paint job I originally used. It makes them look like machines that have been in the field for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment