Friday, February 4, 2022

Warsenal REM Shack TR-MDF-TER-REM-SHK

Known as "The Barn" or "The Red Shed" to the local population, this structure has changed hands (or equivalent manipulator) many times over its existence. The businesses it has hosted include: a small machine maintenance bay, the branch office of a repair services company, a chop shop disguised as a robotics workshop, and a portable communications device outlet. The communications and sensor arrays have gradually been upgraded over the structure's history. The initial set up was a dispatch system for service technicians. The largest expansion took place when the structure briefly hosted a pirate subspace radio station. The original sensor gear was a diagnostic rig, but was later expanded to monitor the nearby area for law enforcement activity during those periods when the structure was used for illicit enterprises. The structure is currently unoccupied and has passed all required inspections.

- Kessler's Upcycling Sales Catalog

Rosie considers a fixer upper for her new workshop.

This is the REM Shack from Warsenal. It is marketed for use in Infinity, but what caught my eye was its potential as a versatile scale-neutral terrain piece. Besides, Five Parsecs From Home turns out to need more terrain than I thought it would.

Assembly
The REM Shack is all MDF except for the plastic antenna. I had a relaxing time putting it together. The instructions - available from Warsenal as a .pdf download - were clear enough. None of the parts needed convincing to go where they needed to go. I used Tacky Glue, but any white glue should work. If I were to get another REM Shack, I might leave a few parts off until after spraying on a base coat. Getting paint into some of nooks and crannies was a little annoying.

Some 15mm scale GZG Survey Team personnel for comparison.

First Spray Coat
Krylon Fusion All-In-One Matte Black sprayed evenly on all surfaces.

Second Spray Coat - Base Only
Krylon ColorMaxx Paint + Primer Matte Deep Gray on the flat base only. This is intended to represent concrete or some sci-fi equivalent. I masked off the base after this coat dried.

Third Spray Coat - Metallics
I picked out certain areas for a layer of Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Metallic Aluminum. These areas were masked off afterwards. I also sprayed the upper surfaces to achieve a zenithal effect.

Fourth Spray Coat - Red
All of the remaining (unmasked) areas got a layer of Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Matte Poppy Red. The red is noticeably lighter in the areas previously sprayed with Metallic Aluminum and darker over the Matte Black.

I'm not sure what that duct is supposed to do, but it looks nice.

Touch Up
I found some overspray after removing the masking tape. It happens. These areas were corrected by various means. I brushed on a little gray paint where the Poppy Red got on the base. A Silver Metallic Sharpie covered up the Poppy Red that showed up on the metallic areas. There was also some Metallic Aluminum showing on some of the Poppy Red areas. I used some diluted black paint to conceal it and simulate grime.

Detail Pass - Yellow
The REM Shack has some small rectangular details that I decided to bring out. They looked like some kind of futuristic fasteners to me, so I was originally going to go with a metallic gold or copper color. However, the yellow I picked to go under the metallic really popped against the Poppy Red. I liked the effect enough to leave it as is.

Weathering Pass - Metallic Wear and Tear
I used a Silver Metallic Sharpie to simulate areas where the red chipped away.

Wash Layer
Finally, I finished up with the messy stage - brushing on a dark wash over all surfaces and wiping off the excess. I used a downward motion where possible to simulate grime flowing down the structure. I followed up with diluted black paint in areas where I wanted the weathering to be darker.

The back is also well detailed.

I've been ordering scatter terrain from Warsenal for quite awhile, but this is the first building I've purchased from them. Overall, I'm happy with it. There is a great deal of complex detail added to a relatively simple shape. It works with both 15mm and 28mm figures and will make a good display piece in between seeing action on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment