Thursday, January 28, 2021

Throwback Project - Spartan Scenics Barracks Accessories

These are from the long defunct Spartan Scenics line of 28mm sci-fi terrain. I'm fairly certain that I picked up this box on clearance after the product line was discontinued, but it was long enough ago for my memory to be a little fuzzy. As the name suggests, this set of bunks and lockers is suitable for a communal sleeping and storage arrangement. Getting these pieces tabletop ready is part of my ongoing effort to get the OOP products in my collection finished this year.

Barracks Accessories pieces and original packaging.

Preparation
The resin casting of the lockers and bunks is good, but not perfect. There are some bubbles, but all are on the reverse side of the pieces where they won't be seen. The locker pieces needed some sanding to even them out and get them to sit on a flat surface without wobbling.

Assembly
The frames for the bunk pieces are clear acrylic, which still strikes me as a little odd. A less brittle plastic or MDF might have been easier to work with. I used an option suggested by the artwork on the packaging - gluing a locker piece to the bunk frame. It looks pretty good and adds weight and stability to the piece. I considered another option seen on the box - gluing the lockers together side by side. Unfortunately, this would hide the detailing on the sides of the lockers. I glued the locker pieces back to back to avoid this and conceal the casting bubbles. Gorilla Super Glue was used throughout - I normally avoid using cyanoacrylate glue on clear acrylic since it visibly distorts the plastic, but that wouldn't be a factor under a coat of primer and paint.

I left one set of bunks without an attached locker so I could duplicate the set up on the back of the packaging.

Priming
I spray primed the assembled pieces with whatever I had on hand. Which turned out poorly.

Painting
I had to scuttle my original plans for painting these pieces. Any paint I tried brushing on beaded up badly. I decided to try spraying on another coat, this time with Krylon COLORmaxx Spray Paint and Primer In One. I laid the pieces down and sprayed them from the bottom up in Flat Black to provide shading. After that coat dried, I stood the pieces up and sprayed them with Matte Grey from the top down. This provides a grey base color while keeping the black in the recesses and underside.

Close up showing how the black in the recesses contrasts with the grey.

I realized something while inspecting the coverage of the second coat of Krylon - I kinda like the flat grey appearance of the pieces. Sure, I could pick out details like the mattresses and pillows in different colors or apply a wash. On the other hand, bunks and lockers like these are supposed to look drab. Maybe it's the part of me that's always ready to be done and move on. Or I could just be getting lazy. In any event, I can always put more paint on these pieces later.

No comments:

Post a Comment