Sunday, January 10, 2021

Reaper Bones 77047 Goldar, Male Barbarian

Sometimes I need a quick project to keep me from feeling "stuck" when progress is held up on the other things I have going on. Maybe I'm waiting for the weather to turn so I can spray primer or paint. Or work just won't die down enough for me to find some free time. I'm finding that all the Reaper Bones miniatures I have around are handy for not-quite-speed-paints. That way I can tell myself that I'm getting something done.

I picked out Goldar since I was in the mood for something swords and sorcery. A bare-chested barbarian with a big ol' ax seemed a good fit. For no particular reason, I choose to paint this figure in shades of brown except for the metallics. Not a particularly neat job on my part, but good enough for tabletop.

Seems more like a gladiator than a barbarian to me, but I just paint 'em.

Primer Layer

Applied the mix of FolkArt Glass & Tile Medium and brown paint that I usually rely on for Reaper Bones miniatures. The mix brings out the details that are otherwise hard to see in all that bright white plastic. It also made a prominent mold line running across the head pretty obvious. A little work with sharp blade took care of the line and I reapplied the mix in those areas.

Flesh Areas

Goldar seems like the outdoorsy type. Reaper 09044 Tanned Skin seemed to be a good pick.

Accessories

I used Reaper 09284 Lonestar Leather on the boots, fur loincloth, and leather straps.

Cloth

Reaper 09292 Bathalian Chitin reproduces the color of undyed cloth nicely.

Metal Areas

I liked the old school look of the armor on Norgol, so I decided to use Citadel Colour paints for a similar effect on this figure. The armor, buckle, and ax blade all received an undercoat of Codex Grey followed by a coat of Boltgun Metal. I used some Mithril Silver to highlight the upper and raised areas.

Wash Layers

I rediscovered a little treasure while digging through my paint collection the other day - a still viable bottle of Citadel Washes Ogryn Flesh. It pairs well with Reaper 09044 Tanned Skin, adding a brown-red tone and setting in to the recesses. I also applied it to the accessories. Unfortunately, Ogryn Flesh is a little too red for cloth, so those areas got Reaper 09254 Brown Wash. I used Reaper 09255 Black Wash for the metal areas.

Basing

I've gotten into the habit of gluing a one-inch steel washer under the integral base of Reaper Bones figures. It stabilizes the figure by providing a wider and heavier base. I textured the base by gluing on a little sand and applied a couple layers of earth tone craft paints.

Goldar, like most of my Reaper Bones collection, is from the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter. I purchased the metal version awhile back and immediately ran a problem with the ax blade breaking off. The shaft wasn't strong enough to hold to relatively heavy ax blade and too thin to pin or otherwise reinforce. That figure got put into deep storage in my garage. The light and flexible plastic of the Bones version avoids that issue while retaining the detail of the earlier metal miniature.

2 comments:

  1. Nice - I have a bunch of semi-naked sword and sorcery figures to paint as well. Your paint choices have been very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help! Please note that the Citadel products that I use are out of production - the Ogryn Flesh in particular. There are a number of red-brown washes out there that should work. I'm still in the process of trial-and-error on those. Good luck with painting your figures!

      Delete