Sunday, December 20, 2020

Reaper Bones 77065 Norgol, Irongrave Knight

This was an unplanned Saturday morning speed paint. I was looking forward to spending Saturday spraying primer and paint on some ongoing projects. Those plans went into the bin when I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the roof. I figured that painting this figure would be a good way to help fill a cold, gray morning.

I'm pretty sure that Norgol doesn't use that ax on wood.

Primer Layer

Norgol got the mix of FolkArt Glass & Tile Medium and an appropriately colored paint that I generally use for Reaper Bones miniatures. In this case, black for the armor and brown for everything else.

Base Layer

I decided to go old school for the armor on this chaotic-looking fellow with some of my surviving Citadel Colour paints. The armor, ax blade, and pommel got a coat of Codex Grey. All other areas were painted with Reaper 09284 Lonestar Leather. The furs did not receive any further layers of paint except for the wash.

Metallic Layers

The armor and other metal areas were painted with Citadel Colour Boltgun Metal and highlighted with Citadel Colour Mithril Silver. I applied a layer of Secret Weapon W003 Armor Wash to bring out the details and tone down the contrast between the two metallic colors.

Cape, Ax Shaft, and Horns

I used Reaper 09292 Bathalian Chitin to provide some contrast with the rest of the color scheme.

Gloves

Reaper 09110 Oiled Leather was used as a highlight to make the gloves stand out from the rest of the browns.

Wash Layer

Secret Weapon W010 Dark Sepia was applied over the cape, ax shaft, horns, gloves, and furs. It worked well, but it is more runny than I'm used to.

Basing

A one-inch steel washer glued under the integral base gives the figure a little more heft. Reaper Bones figures tend to tip over otherwise. Glued on sand provides texture and a couple of earth tone craft paints gives the basing the appearance of dry ground.

That cape and those furs would normally keep in the warmth, but I'm not sure how helpful they could be over all that metal armor.

Norgol is another figure from the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter. I'm planning on picking up the pace on my unpainted miniatures pile in general and my Reaper Bones collection in particular during the coming year. At my current rate, my grandkids will be inheriting unpainted plastic miniatures.

Not my best work, but a fun figure to knock out on a weekend morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment