Thursday, August 31, 2023

#RPGaDay 2023, Final Week

The final week! I had fun thinking over my responses to these questions. It gave me an opportunity to look at RPGs from a different direction.


August 28
SCARIEST game you've played

I have a couple of difficulties coming up with an answer here. As a Forever GM, I run far more games than I play. Worse, I've yet to find a GM who can run horror well and has a slot open for a new player. This puts a limit on my ability to play a "scariest game" or pick up the skills to run one.


August 29
Most memorable ENCOUNTER

Likely the "hunt down and kill the traitor" session I described in response to an earlier question. It wasn't the encounter the GM planned on running, but it was the one we wanted to play. Which brings up a point - the best encounters sometimes emerge from a place other than the GM's imagination.


August 30
OBSCURE RPG you've played

I could mention any number of homebrews, but that seems against the spirit of the question.

The majority of RPGs I have experience with are well-known for a good reason. If they weren't commercially successful, they would never have shown up on my radar. Now, I have acquired a few interesting RPGs from smaller companies and places like itch.io, so my response to such a question will likely change moving forward.


August 31
FAVORITE RPG of all time

"All time" is my sticking point with this question. I don't have the kind of nostalgia that some have with older games. I had a good time with them, but that doesn't keep me from seeing how newer RPGs solve issues that I ran into back in the day. My "all time favorite RPG" might end up being one that hasn't been published yet.

My current favorite is Star Trek Adventures, simply because it lets me run a Trek RPG without getting in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment