Monday, January 1, 2024

My 2024 Tabletop Gaming Plan

2023 was not my year for anything related to tabletop gaming. I don't want to get into details. I'm going to put it all behind me and start fresh with a new plan. It may not be a good plan, it might be pie in the sky, but it's a direction to go in until I come up with something better.

In early 2024, I'm going back to the place where I started gaming. I enjoy setting up terrain, measuring distances, pushing miniatures around, and cursing my poor die rolls. But wargaming isn't where the journey began for me. My gaming origins involve a purple boxed set with an Erol Otis cover, rules by Tom Moldvay, and an adventure by Gary Gygax.

So it's back to roleplaying games for awhile. I picked up the Player's Tome and Referee's Tome for Old School Essentials Advanced Fantasy during Necrotic Gnome's Black Friday sale. It's looking like a good way to revisit some classic adventures without too much conversion work. After that, I have a bunch of other TTRPGs that are either sitting on the shelves or are on the way from Kickstarters or preorders. Maybe I'll alternate between fantasy and sci-fi with a modern setting thrown in here and there.


Related to all the TTRPGs sitting on the shelves is my massive backlog of books to read. Making a dent in it is an overall 2024 goal. Quite a few of those books are gaming related, so it's fair to mention it here.

Another backlog is my pile of shame. Although I'll be kicking off 2024 with TTRPGs, I'm planning on getting to know my brushes and paints again. Not every miniature and terrain piece has to be used for wargaming, after all. There's also some junk in storage for when I try my hand at scratch building and trashbashing again.

Finally, I could use a way to keep my thoughts and ideas organized in 2024. Maybe I could publish them in some format? Perhaps a blog? Or a YouTube channel? I'll have to look into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment