Saturday, October 31, 2020

Reaper Bones Kaladrax Reborn - Finale!

Finished!

And I made my Halloween deadline!

Barely.

At least I got done before kids started knocking on the door looking for candy.

It's been awhile since I selected this figure as a $10 add on to the first Reaper Bones Kickstarter. It was delivered with the rest of the backer rewards from that Kickstarter in 2013. I didn't take a brush to it until June of this year.

This project was a real learning experience. My first insight was to stop thinking of it as an enormous miniature and treat it like a terrain piece. It made it easier to divide the work into manageable portions. The layered approach I used for painting the skeleton is going to come in handy for old bones and possibly stone. This was my first attempt at painting a glow effect - something that I look forward to applying to certain future projects.

The plastic used for the tail's end piece is soft enough to flex under the paint, causing some cracking.

Periodically publishing Work In Progress posts helped me with organizing and planning this project. Links are below.

Part 1 - Discussion of the Kaladrax Reborn as a Reaper Miniatures product, the inspiration for the necrotic glow paint scheme, description of the techniques used for painting the base, and testing the paint scheme for the skeleton on two of the legs.

Part 2 - Progress on the other two legs and the tail, the fictional backstory that Reaper created for Kaladrax Reborn, and a few thoughts on how I might use a huge dracolich in a F20 campaign.

Part 3 - Progress on the main body, description of the techniques used for the glow effect, and a look at the brown undercoat used on the skeleton.

Part 4 - Base painting complete, assembly, and planning for the final polishing passes.

There's a face that no adventuring party wants to see.

There's always a little more that could be done with a project like this. A bit more wash. A touch more highlighting. Another polishing pass. But the question has to be asked: "Will the results make the additional effort worthwhile?" Sometimes it does. Other times, diminishing returns rears its ugly head. For Kaladrax Reborn, I've decided that good enough is good enough. It's time to put Kaladrax Reborn into the display case and move on to the next project.


No comments:

Post a Comment