Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Reaper Bones Kaladrax Reborn WIP Part 4

The Halloween deadline I set for this project is only a few days away at the time I'm typing this. Am I gonna make it? Dunno. But I at least have this beast painted and assembled.

I'm gonna need a bigger display case.

Kaladrax Reborn needs a couple more passes before I'm willing to call this project done.

The skeleton needs some touching up. I put a coat of brown wash on parts of the skull, spine, and tail. The wash brought out the details a little bit more, but those areas are now noticeably darker than the rest of the skeleton. The whole skeleton could also use some highlighting. So I'll be brushing on some more light color paint to achieve the look I want.

The glow effect needs work. The body and wings need more bright green and possibly yellow-green highlights to better convey that they are light sources. I might have gone overboard with the green reflections on the skeleton. They'll get toned down a little when I give the skeleton another pass. The green reflections on the base are looking good, though. They also had the effect of bringing down the shine.

Close up of the body. Note the reflected glow on the skeleton and base.

A problem I ran into during the push to finish this project is the flexibility of the plastic in certain areas. I know that the white Bones plastic is fairly soft, but the horns on the skull and the tip of the tail almost flop around. This causes the paint to crack and flake. Kaladrax Reborn might be a "look, but don't touch" display piece due to this issue. Fortunately, I don't need an enormous undead dragon that often in my fantasy dungeoncrawl campaigns!

I've come to realize that these Work In Progress posts have helped me with planning each stage of this project. Writing each post means that I can stop, review my progress, see where I am, and figure out where I need to go. I'm not sure if I would have maintained any momentum without them as a tool.

Hopefully, I'll have enough free time this week to make the final couple of passes before Halloween. I'm also optimistically clearing out space in my display cabinet for this beast. It's my only storage space that's big enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment