Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Lightyear Hyperspeed XL-07 Modest Modifications

A quick update on this project. September 2022 was not a good month for me. I couldn't cobble together any hobby time until last weekend.

Not as much of a conversion as I first planned, but sometimes less is more.

Finding parts to add a few more details proved more challenging than I counted on. The usual approach of digging around for model kit parts and searching the bits collection wasn't fruitful. Most of the things I found were just too big or looked out of place.

One thing that did work was a round plastic bushing. I used it to add detail to the blank area inside the thruster. This was the spot that was bothering me the most for some reason. The bushing will be nothing but a vague shape in the darkly painted interior when I'm done, but even that will give the impression of mechanical workings.

Rear view. Note the plastic bushing filling out the thruster and the MDF blocks on the sides.

A scaled down approach was in order for the rest. My collection of tiny bits isn't as extensive as the rest. I found most of what I needed in the leftovers from the various MDF terrain pieces I've built over the years. Some of the terrain had fine details that were exposed by pushing out the MDF left after laser cutting. Most are simple shapes that are handy for projects like the monowheel cycle I scratchbuilt earlier this year.

MDF and many plastics form a solid bond when joined with CA glue. I stacked the deck a little more in my favor by using some trusty Gorilla Super Glue.

She may not look like much now, but she's got it where it counts.

A couple of angled MDF parts form canard-like additions to the sides of the fuselage. These would be absurdly small on any other craft, even at this scale, but they don't look out of place compared to the size of the actual wings.

Two rectangular MDF parts hide some mold lines on the rear. They extend the existing shapes and should blend in after painting.

A pair of cylindrical MDF parts suggest sensors or the business ends of weapons protruding from the twin noses of the spacecraft. They give it a slightly more aggressive appearance than before.

Front view. Note the MDF "gun barrels" and canards.

I could add more details, but the work I've done fills in the blank areas and mold lines that I wanted to fix. I'll be spray priming it next. Painting may have to wait until I decide on a color scheme. Do I want a sporty civilian flyer, a rugged scout ship, or military light attack craft?

2 comments:

  1. That is coming together very nicely. I was a bit unsure on the mdf winglets but seen in the second last photo how they match the wings at the back set me straight 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I went back and forth on the canards are few times before gluing them on. They don't work on all angles, but look good when it's sitting on the table. Which is what really counts here.

      Delete