Monday, May 31, 2021

Reaper Bones 77525 Great Obelisk of C'thulhu

This figure was purchased during my first visit to a local gaming store in quite awhile. I painted it up as a weekend project. It will come in handy the next time I run a game featuring a certain Great Old One.

A pair of barbarian mercenaries guard a weird statue. Their robed employers are a little strange, but their coin spends the same as any other. (28mm scale Reaper Miniatures figures provided for comparison.)

The color scheme was inspired by a scene in "Call of Cthulhu" (the story, not the game). It includes a description of "a grotesque, repulsive, and apparently very ancient stone statuette" of a certain cosmic horror. H.P. Lovecraft uses the terms "greenish" and "greenish-black" for the color of the stone. I ignored the comments describing the "golden or iridescent flecks and striations" for simplicity's sake. This was a weekend project, not something I was shooting for perfection on.

The figure is made from the newer grey Bones material rather than the white Bones plastic I'm used to working on. I decided to use the techniques I usually use rather than experiment. My habit of only using craft paint on terrain pieces reared its head - I used FolkArt paints almost exclusively except for the plastic base and washes.

Rear three quarters view. The inscriptions go all around the figure.

Preparation
I gave the figure a good scrubbing with warm soap and water to remove any manufacturing residue. There were no noticeable mold lines.

Basing
Although it comes with an integral base, I glued the figure on a Reaper 74036 2" Round Plastic RPG Base for additional stability. I primed the base with auto body spray primer before gluing it to the figure.

Priming/First Coat
I mixed a few drops of FolkArt Glass & Tile Medium with FolkArt 479 Pure Black and brushed it over the entire figure. This provided a good underlayer for the dark green paint scheme I was planning for this figure.

Second Coat
Next came a mix of FolkArt 644 Grass Green, FolkArt 2561 Steel Grey, and FolkArt 479 Pure Black to create the "greenish-black" in H.P. Lovecraft's description. I mixed the paints by eye, so I'm not sure about the ratios. This coat was lightly brushed over the figure. The intent was to avoid getting too much paint into the recesses, allowing the initial coat of black to show through as shadows.

Highlight Layer
I drybrushed a little FolkArt 544 Grass Green over the raised areas and corners of the figure. It created a nice, otherworldly effect - almost a glow - that fit with the cosmic horror theme.

An expedition from Miskatonic University's Terra Nova campus investigates an unusual find on an airless moon. (15mm scale GZG figures provided for comparison.)

First Wash Layer
Additional shading was provided by a layer of Reaper 09255 Black Wash brushed over the entire figure. It also brought out the recessed details - especially the symbols - that were starting to get lost in all the dark green.

Second Wash Layer
Secret Weapon W008 Baby Poop Wash was the key to a previous Cthulhu-related project. I decided to use it on this project for consistency. A coat of the green-brown wash tied everything together.

Basing
The final step was to use some sand to texture the plastic base to blend it in with the integral base. The sand was held in place with a mix of Aleene's Tacky Glue, FolkArt 231 Real Brown, and water. After allowing it to dry, I brushed on some FolkArt 420 Linen to give simulate dry soil or sandy terrain. A coat of FolkArt 479 Pure Black was painted on the edge of the plastic base.

Front three quarters view. I hope those guys got paid in advance.

This is a fairly simple figure that gets the point across. It's a hefty chunk of plastic that doesn't have an exciting amount of detail, but it's size gives it a presence on the table. It should work for a variety of scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment